Thursday, September 10, 2026

The bus ride

 


Wednesday was the first day of school for my grandchildren.

Little Natalie had her first day of kindergarten which meant she got to ride the bus

with her big brother and sister for the first time ever. 

She had a practice bus ride the day before and told her mother they drove past Dunkin Donuts 

but didn't get any donuts

😒


My daughter and son-in-law live in a house that his grandfather built back in 1953.

One of the first things my daughter planted when they moved in was this beautiful Rose-of-Sharon type

 of bush. It took a few years to establish itself but it is absolutely beautiful now.

My mother always said she loved Rose-of-Sharon for the pretty flowers but didn't like it

because when it bloomed it meant that the summer was over. 

~


And speaking of flowers...

every year it seems like one or two plants just shine in the gardens.

This year it's the nasturtiums. 

They are absolutely stunning!

~



Labour day was a long weekend and I did quite a bit of cooking. 

I made a delicious summer corn and zucchini chowder among other things.

It's always a favourite.


I got some knitting in as well. 

7 comments:

  1. I love all of these blessings! The children are adorable. Our district's first day for k-5 was Thursday and everyone else went back Wed (the older grades). I do miss my educational team at the special ed PreK but I also do love lingering over coffee and time with God in the morning hours so that's a def perk of retirement. :)

    OOH.....I'd love your recipe for the zucchini corn chowder if you're willing to share.

    Have a wonderful weekend

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a cute picture of your grands. Your Labor Day menu sounds great! I never heard of zucchini chowder, but it sounds good. That yarn is so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do hope your granddaughter gets a donut soon :)
    Back to school is often a fun time. Your grands look happy.
    Nasturtiums are a favorite plant in my garden, too. This year the zinnias shone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had to smile at the Dunkin Donuts part — she clearly already knows what makes a good bus ride. 😄 And those nasturtiums are gorgeous this year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Someone in our neighborhood has a Rose of Sharon bush near their mailbox, but I didn't know that's what it was. So pretty! That's neat that your granddaughter could take a practice run on the bus before the official first day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely post. I’d forgotten about zucchini corn chowder! Such a great idea for this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Another molestone for one of your grandkids! She must feel very grownup! The bus so should have made a Dunkin' stop IMHO. The flowers are gorgeous. Do you add some nasturtiums to your salads?

    ReplyDelete